Sesame Street:Song: I Love My Hair



 Hello Everyone!


You all have no idea as to what I felt when I first viewed this video. I give Sesame Street a STANDING OVATION! I am so glad that someone took the time to address the matter of Love & Hair in a positive way, especially at a time where our African American Community is embracing our Natural Hair as a whole. I am excited about the message Sesame Street protrade in this video. Love for Hair ties into Love for Self. Sesame Street touched on all forms of Black Hair. This is by far the best I've ever seen. The timing of this subject matter is perfect!


I began, just last week, pre-writing a blog post on the subject of "Natural Hair Unattractive?" I decided to write about the topic because of a conversation I had with someone a few weeks ago. The young lady mentioned to me, in a discussion on Natural Hair, that she personally thinks Natural Hair & Natural Hair styles are "Unattractive". I know many of you are shocked right about now at her statement. Many of you probably would have cursed her out for even making such a strong statement like that in your presence, especially if you are currently a Natural. I didn't get upset with the young lady about her comment because I too shared her thoughts a few years back. My views have surely changed. I have been growing my hair Natural for over 2 years. Thanks to my lovely husband who is obsessed with Natural Hair. lol. I now love & embrace my Natural Hair. It's who I am, so why not?


 For this reason, I enjoy styling little girls hair. I love to boost up their self-esteem & self worth by styling their hair the way they want it styled. Yes, I ask them how they want their hair styled. Truth be told, they know what they want. They are hip to the latest Hair Styles & Trends. These little ladies are sharp. They know what they like & they want to rock their hair the way they like it. For example, I have a little cousin who name is Jasmine. She is 9 years old. She told me one time I styled her hair in Corn Rows, "Thank you Keianna! You just made my popularity go up!" I had no clue as to what she was talking about at first until her mother told me. Because her hair was styled according to what is Trendy at her Elementary School, I made her popularity among her peers grow. I was glad I was able to give her that wonderful feeling/Confidence Booster. That in and of itself made me feel good.


Feel Free to Check out the links below. Talk with your little ones about their hair & Positive Self Image. Ask them what they like & dislike about their hair. You will be surprise as to what they say to you. Also moms, Stop calling your daughters Natural Kinks & Curls negative & derogatory names. It doesn't help them to embrace who they are. Remember, we are our children first teachers. All that they know, they learn from us.


Peace & Love ~KeeKee~

No comments:

Post a Comment